Your skin is the largest organ of your body, covering and protecting your inner workings from the elements and taking a lot of punishment in the process. As we age, changes occur in the skin as part of normal ageing – but some effects are experienced due to our daily lifestyle. These changes may be slowed if healthy skin care habits are developed to create an effective anti-ageing skin care plan.
The benefits of healthy skin care include:
- the maintenance of youthful skin and firmness
- the prevention of a blotchy complexion
- a reduction in wrinkles and fine lines
- a reduction in the risk of skin cancer.
Some tips for anti-ageing skin care include the following:
- Sun protection: Protecting your skin from the sun and harmful UV rays helps you to prevent premature ageing (photo ageing). Your dermatologist may recommend to avoid going out in the sun during the hottest parts of the day; using a good broad spectrum sunscreen lotion and covering yourself with long-sleeved clothing, gloves, a hat and sunglasses.
- Moisturise: Apply moisturiser regularly to prevent dry skin, wrinkles and fine lines.
- Avoid indoor tanning: Refrain from using tanning beds and exposure to sun lamps.
- Quit smoking: The toxins in tobacco can cause your skin to look dull, producing premature wrinkles and the loss of firmness of the skin.
- Practice good hygiene: Wash your face with a mild cleanser and warm water twice a day without scrubbing.
- Eat a healthy diet: Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables. Consume adequate proteins and healthy fats in your diet.
- Stay hydrated: Drink plenty of fluids to keep your skin hydrated and supple.
- Sleep: Ensure you get plenty of good quality sleep, which facilitates the release of human growth hormone.
Selection of anti-ageing skin products
Your dermatologist will help you to select the best-suited skin care products for your particular skin type, which might include the best broad spectrum sunscreen and moisturiser with water resistance.
Select an effective product that doesn’t cause irritation and targets your areas of concern (dark age spots, fine lines, etc.).
Always buy products that are specially formulated for your type of skin (sensitive skin, dry skin or oily skin). Always read the product label information carefully for any information regarding allergies or potential skin irritants.